or, what exactly is in this book?
My book, ‘dirt&sunshine’ isn’t a comprehensive parenting manual. For one thing, it’s simpler. And shorter. I don’t claim to be an expert at anything and I am certainly not the perfect parent I once aspired to be. The 25 topics explored in the book are just bits of advice I’ve collected over the years. In the spirit of helping build a community of happy families, I want to share them. Your first resource, however, should always be your own network of child-raising advocates: your family and friends, your pediatrician (hopefully one who is a parent, too), and whatever support system you assemble.
So, if you want to know what’s inside (and don’t feel like shelling out $14.95 yet), here are the topics covered in the book:
- play outside in the dirt (the most important thing)
- live in the moment
- be the person you want your child to be
- focus on responsibility and resolution
- teach your child to cope with an imperfect world
- embrace your child’s personality
- establish household rules
- practice ‘close range’ discipline
- read… a lot!
- use big words
- capture what they say and do
- encourage your child’s creativity
- invest in simple, long-lasting toys
- create imaginative games
- put your tv on a diet
- grow edibles in your garden
- cook with olive oil and black pepper
- dabble in the art of making baby food
- drink a beer (great for breastfeeding!)
- socialize, socialize, socialize (we mean you!)
- throw one or two memorable birthday parties
- establish family traditions
- travel like a local
- reduce your commitments
- build a community
Thanks for checking out the website. Happy parenting!
Creative Commons License
dirt&sunshine: shared content by Kathryn Holland Besser is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.